Original Post - 04/20/2020 8:24 PM

Raymonf

Admin

Edit: Read this blog post for Tommy's statement on this: https://blog.finobe.com/2020/03/31/weed-event-poggers/

As I've posted on Discord:

This marks the unofficial end of the month-long 4/20 event, unfortunately. We weren't able to build everything as planned on time. With the ongoing pandemic, the morale isn't exactly amazing with the event staff either. Personally, I think they did a great job in what came out already.

If there's more, then I'll announce that too. For now, this is "indefinite postponement"

I'd just like to give some praise to the event staff team. Here's the thing: this is not Halloween 2018 2. The event staff went above and beyond what I expected.

Here's the story: Around March 20, I asked Nobelium to help create a 4/20 event for Finobe, and I said that it would last an entire month. They went in with no expectations, and in a few days, they'd created a very rough outline for what would happen. In short, it was the 4 different worlds that were to be released, as well as general ideas on what they'd be about. They started building The City immediately and the event staff found themselves struggling to get that map out on time, too. I helped make some last minute fixes, and then released it. Let's just say that it went way smoother than Halloween 2019. Things just worked.

Almost immediately after The City was released, the staff continued working on Drake's Factory. They had a very minimal "base" for the game and even went back at the end to port the dialogues to a newer version of the dialogue script that allowed for actions. That released a day late, resulting in the map taking about a week to create.

For an amateur team that had barely worked with sonic 06 games before, they've done exceptionally well for a first-time "large-ish" event. They did it with extreme deadlines too--mostly less than a week of time before needing a release. But unfortunately, that day being late was a red flag. At that point, it was already clear that the staff were time-constrained.

The thing is, I take some of the blame for this. We should have started at the beginning of February or mid-February at the latest, but it hadn't occurred to me that we should have an event like this. Honestly, my original vision was to just have an event map that would be occasionally updated (perhaps once a week) to add a hat or gear or 2 every now and then. If I had any input in the development process, we wouldn't have had the 9 items in The City and Drake's Factory alone.

I'm not going to lie and say that the "4/20 4/20 4/20 4/20" shitpost place was part of the original plan. There are 4 items in that place, leading to a grand total of 13 items if we were to combine them with the actual event's items. That's honestly more than I thought would be released. I was going for more of a 5-6 item target for the entire month.

So basically, all I'm trying to say is that the event staff did an amazing job. I don't usually go out of my way to type out giant posts like this that make no sense in terms of structure. I just don't know how to put my words when it comes to this. So, please don't blame the event staff for not fulfilling their "promises". They already did way more than I planned.

Stickied Post - 04/20/2020 8:27 PM

lums

we're just humans with lives outside of making events forever, yeah it sucks but we really tried our hardest

everyone on the team has learned from this and hopefully our next event will be better

edit: hi, tommy here hijacking this post to link the blog post which now has the final update: https://blog.finobe.com/2020/03/31/weed-event-poggers/

Reply - 04/20/2020 8:25 PM

sciencekid

Damn!

Multako

it was fun

Universes

good job boys, keep the great work up!

Reply - 04/20/2020 8:26 PM

BrianGriffen

the

Reply - 04/20/2020 8:27 PM

iiOrnate

legit crying myself to sleep

Tommy

4/20 4/20 4/20 4/20 was made by me in 20 minutes today starting at 4 pm for maximum weed number just a funfact

final update to the blog post going into a bit more detail is being finished up right now

thank you for playing

lums

we're just humans with lives outside of making events forever, yeah it sucks but we really tried our hardest

everyone on the team has learned from this and hopefully our next event will be better

edit: hi, tommy here hijacking this post to link the blog post which now has the final update: https://blog.finobe.com/2020/03/31/weed-event-poggers/

Reply - 04/20/2020 8:28 PM

iiOrnate

hope we get like 10 dius or something instead but I’m not begging

listen whoever downvoted, listen, I just said a random amount and said I wasn’t begging, and we could maybe just not get any dius at all.

Reply - 04/20/2020 8:28 PM

chessboard

Amazing "story" you wrote there,

I already know that the staffs are really busy with online homeworks or working on something because they have no time for building a virtual game.

You don't have to apologise like this, we already know what is the issue.

Reply - 04/20/2020 8:32 PM

Explosive

this